Gluten Free Cookies Recipes | Balsamic Fudge Drops

October 08, 2019
This morning, I made a new version of Huevos Rancheros. Instead of serving it over corn tortillas, I served it over the leftover cornbread from last night. It’s basically a salsa type sauce (canned fire-roasted tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper, cumin, coriander, S&P; chopped in the blender) served over two fried eggs, served over cornbread. Nothing fancy, but boy, it tasted great on a Sunday morning.

The finishing touch was tonight’s dessert. Homemade chocolate cookies. But not any old’ chocolate cookies. These were Balsamic Fudge Drops which I got from the Habeus Brulee blog which in turn got them from Alice Medrich. I don't know much about Alice Medrich, but if these cookies are any indication, I am definitely going to read everything she's ever written.

I made a mistake that I think turned out to be fortuitous. It was the first time I replaced wheat flour with a gluten-free flour mix. But I forgot to add xanthan gum, which I think you’re supposed to do when you make substitutions with GF flours. But the cookies came out fantastic. Oh, and instead of using what I imagine is dark balsamic vinegar, I used white balsamic vinegar, as I didn’t have any of the dark stuff in the house. Cookies were so chocolatey and so crisp and lacey. A real keeper. In fact, I could see making a chocolate crust using these cookies.


balsamic fudge drop gluten free

Balsamic Fudge Drops



Balsamic Fudge Drops
I think the recipe made about 18 cookies.

1 cup gluten-free flour of your choice (I used Annalise Roberts Brown Rice Flour mix)
½ teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon SALT
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup dark brown sugar (I used light brown)
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Vanilla sugar (see note)
Preheat oven 350 degrees.

Whisk the flour, salt, and baking soda together and set aside.

Melt the butter in a small saucepan. When it is all melted and sizzling, remove from heat and stir in the cocoa powder, and then both sugars. And then the yogurt, vanilla, and balsamic vinegar. Once that is mixed together nicely, add the flour mixture and stir it just until it is fully incorporated, trying not to overmix.

Measure out tablespoons of the dough about 1 ½” apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle vanilla sugar on top. Bake for about 11 minutes, rotating the baking sheets from top to bottom and front to back halfway through.

When the cookies come out, they will look somewhat crackled on top, and terrifyingly soft. You will probably be convinced they are not yet done. Take them out anyway. Slide the parchment paper with the cookies onto a rack to cool – the cookies will harden as they cool, and then you will be able to remove them from the parchment paper.

Note: To make vanilla sugar, mix sugar and inside scraped flesh from one vanilla bean in your food processor. Sift to remove any big chunks. To use the vanilla bean, make a slice from top to bottom with a sharp paring knife, as if you’re opening it to see what is inside. Then take the blade of your knife and slide it from the top down to the bottom, dragging the inside pulp out of the vanilla bean and then putting it into the food processor.

So, long post. Lots of yummy food. Lots of cooking. That’s what I do. In order for me to stay safe, I’ve needed to learn to eat at home. We go out periodically, especially when we travel out of town. But when we’re home, we eat home. And I have to say, I ain’t looking back at all. I feel good and on my way back to mending my health, after many years of stomach aches and who knows what else. I’m doing what my friend told me when she first advised me – it’s not a death sentence – you can do it and eat well. So, right back at you girlfriend. Make it work, you’re worth it!

Artikel Terkait

Previous
Next Post »